Sunday, April 30, 2017

Principal Project: T-38A Talon Pt. 1 - Kickoff


If you've read my page on my "Principal Projects" you'll understand the importance of these special projects as compared to others I work on. If you don't know what I mean. please read my page on Principal Projects for details.

Today I want to begin to document one of those projects ... the T-38A Talon. Perhaps I should start with the T-37 Tweet, as my father did, but the T-37 involves natural metal finishes which I do not think I am prepared for yet, so I am starting with the T-38 instead.

From my father's memoirs ... 
In July of 1963 my father, then 2nd Lt. Thomas Stenstrom and newly wed the week before, returned to his Squadron, the 3501st Pilot Training Squadron at  Reese AFB, Lubbock, TX, from 4th of July break to begin Primary Pilot Training. 
"Ours was the first flight in the squadron to fly the Northrop T-38 Talon instead of the old T-33 Shooting Star. The planes were brand new, right out of the factory and had that 'new car' smellThe plane was supersonic and looked like it was moving even when it was parked".

My Father standing next to one of the brand new T-38A Talon trainers. 
The project 
So my project is to reproduce the T-38 pictured in the photo above. The tail number of 23647 indicates that the funding for the plane was approved in 1962 and the fact that the photo was taken in 1963 would suggest that this was very likely the aircraft's first assignment. Therefor at the time my father encountered it, it would have been a brand new plane. This means that any heavy weathering would be inappropriate. Other than that, I do not know much about the history of the plane. From a search on the tail number I was able to discover that it was that it was ultimately transferred to the "Turkish AF as 23647", although I don't know when it was sold or what it was doing before then,

Some of the first kits I built, as I was realizing that building model kits was not as easy as all these videos make it look, were of T-38's. Inexpensive MiniCraft Hasegawa and Starfix kits became my lab rats. VERY basic and simple kits, the molds dated back to the 60's. Raised panel lines and absolutely ZERO cockpit detail was only the beginning of the challenges that they presented.




After conducting a little research I discovered that these were actually F-5B Freedom Fighters, and while based on the same air frame, possessed some minor differences, including wheel nose hub diameter, drag chute, air intakes, and inner forward wing root. Since I was just beginning I was not in any position to attempt modifying a kit. So I built a couple of these as test projects.

Starfix T-38 Talon build results w/ custom decals on Testors paper and minor mods to the wings.
I was not happy, but satisfied enough with these results, given my (lack of) experience. Most importantly I learned some lessons and had the opportunity to hone some skills. I even managed to successfully-ish execute some minor modifications.

Other efforts include a PM Model F-5B Freedom Fighter conversion to an T-38. These kits however, make even the fore-mentioned Hasegawa kits look like a contemporary Tamiya kit. Originally purchased for about $5.00 USD, however, I felt comfortable chopping and hacking this one up in an effort to working on scratch building and conversion skills and the ever important panel lining skill set.

PM F-5B Freedom Fighter model kit. 
Panel line practice on the PM F-5B kit. I need more practice. 


Aside: At the time I originally wrote this post (March 2017) I am seeing these kits being sold for $20 and up, which, in my opinion, is an insult. Even done well you can get much better kits for the same money. These kits are, at the $5 USD I paid, great for practice kits and mules you can use to experiment with and practice scratch built features. For $20 and more however, these are not kits you purchase to beat up and throw away (at least not on my budget). The amount of effort that would have to put into the build in order to get the value out of it is not worth it; not when you could spend the same money and get considerably nicer kits. It's my opinion that they can do this because there just isn't a selection of T-38 kits available right now. These kits aren't even genuine T-38's. This vacuum is being exploited and people are being gouged for these exceptionally sub-par kits. They are "vintage" but they aren't even that rare as they seem to be overpriced and everywhere.

Anyway, over the ensuing months I have also built several F-15's. F-14's and MiG-29's accumulating model building tools and supplies and further sharpening my skills. I think I have finally arrived at a place where I am comfortable enough that I am going to take a stab at a "real" T-38 kit.

Despite my efforts to keep everything in scale with my father's 1:72 scale C-130 Hercules I will be doing, there are no 1:72 scale T-38 kits on the market. It seems Sword had made a really nice one but I can't find it anywhere (if anyone knows where I can pick one up please let me know!). I do have a ERTL F-5B Freedom Fighter in 1:72 that, when I become comfortable enough with my ability to modify it, I will build as a T-38. It is nicely detailed but this is another kit I cannot find anymore of. This likely means I will only get one shot at it ... so until I am absolutely confident it will remain in my stash.



In the meantime I have conceded that in order to build a kit designed to be an actual T-38, I will have to up the scale to 1:48. Thus I have purchased the Trumpeter 1:48 T-38A Talon. This will become my first real swing at one of my principal projects.

1:48 Scale Trumpeter T-38A Talon

Kit Reviews and References

Much to my surprise there are not a lot of videos published on this kit. I have put together what I could find though. I suppose the T-38A is jut not that popular of a subject.

Playlist Home: Kit Review: Trumpeter 1:48 T-38A Talon
Number of Videos: 3
Playlist Duration: Apprx. 25 mins




Online References

In addition to a few videos I was also able to find a few forums, blogs and other various reviews and builds of the Trumpeter 1:48 T-38A Talon.




Video Attributions

FineScale Modeler
Joao's statix models
FloryModels







No comments:

Post a Comment