Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Build Log: Airfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. IA (Pt.2)

 


As usual I began with the cockpit. The first thing I did was drilled out the holes on the frame that the pilot's seat attached to. I bought a set of Micro drills and they have proven to be a godsend, particularly when working on 1:72 scale aircraft. 

Everything was then based with a coat of Stynylrez black acrylic primer and lightly gone over with AK Interactive's Gen3 AK11859 US Interior Yellow Green. These were light coats intended to allow the dark undercoat to create lowlights and shadows.


After the green was down and dried details were picked out using Vallejo Model Air 71.057 Black, Vallejo Mecha Color 69.001 Pure White & Vallejo Model Air 71.003 Red RLM. Afterwards, a coat of floor polish was applied to protect the paint and a light wash of Tamiya Black Panel Line wash was applied.


I then applied the instrument panel decal provided with the kit. It went on nicely with some help from Mr. Mark Setter and Softer and the cockpit tub was then attached to one side of the fuselage. 


When I added the oxygen cans, I found a thin piece of copper wire and added it. I painted the cans in Testor's Model Masters Buffable Aluminum. I did a poor job of base coating the cans and the texture was so pronounced that the buffable metallic paint never really "took. Because they were would be hidden, I didn't bother to re-do them. 


The cockpit was then complete, and the rest of the fuselage was assembled. 
We hit the exterior in the next installment. Stay tuned!


Links to complete article 




No comments:

Post a Comment