Sunday, January 14, 2018

Gallery: Academy Spitfire Mk.XIVc



If I actually had anyone following this blog I'd apologize for long delay between posts ... but I don't so no one will have noticed. Whew ...

After my experience with the Academy 1:72 FW 190A I had a taste for WWII and was pumped to work on some more Academy kits. So I did ... A Stuka, Spitfire, Zero and a Warhawk.

I started with the Academy 1:72 Spitfire first. I was plagued with my usual impatience resulting in less than perfect seams and finish work. I also strayed from historical accuracy and painted it in the North Africa desert camouflage even though, as far as I know, the Mk, XIVc never flew in North Africa. I just liked the paint scheme and I didn't regret it!

I also attempted a couple of new bits, I added a pilot and placed the final plane on a VERY rudimentary diorama base. Even as basic as it is, these two additions make all the difference in the world. The context adds more of a story and additional dimension to the overall presentation. It's not JUST  a plane anymore.

I don't really log the materials, paints and processes, I use in my builds. This sucks because if I like something I did on a previous model, I am unable to  duplicate it. I will try to start doing this since, in particular, I can't remember the colors I used and my skill at color-matching by eye is on par with Stevie Wonder. It's why I usually try to stick to out of the bottle colors rather than custom mixes, but even then I usually don't recall the colors I used. We'll see if I am not too lazy to actually record these things in the future.

For now, however here are the pics of my 1:72 Academy Spitfire Mk.XIVc ...









No comments:

Post a Comment